Sunday, October 23, 2011

Originally posted Oct. 3 2011

So despite my adamancy that I was fed up with floor-plan software and that I intended instead to hand-draw my own plans, I came across yet another architect/designer program I decided to try.

After an hour working with it, I discovered two things. One...it was easier to use than the previous ones I had tried. And two...it still made me want to tear my hair out in frustration. Even flipping between the video tutorial and the actual program was unhelpful, and in the end I managed to draw a box. Scaled in millimeters.

I guess I'm back to hand drawing :)

The scope of what I'm planning tends to overwhelm so I'm doing my best to just take one step at a time. I find that at every idle moment of my day I start thinking about the dollhouse, about logistics and decor and tools until it all jumbles together. And for some odd reason, I keep hearing a voice (further proof I need some medication of some sort).

The voice belongs to Crispin Glover...or rather, George McFly from the Back to the Future movies. In the first movie, when Marty returns to the brand new present where his father is confident rather than a greasy, whiny little geek, George opens a box of his newly published book and as he hands it to Marty he says, "When you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything."

That's what keeps running through my head, especially when I get frustrated with the plans or start becoming overwhelmed with logistics. So, one step at a time.

I did find a local dollhouse/miniature store fairly nearby. They even offer some classes. I will be going on Saturday to check them out and see what's what :)

No comments:

Post a Comment